Since our schools’ founding more than 125 years ago, our mission hasn’t changed: We exist to assist parents in fully forming children’s hearts, minds and souls to bring glory to God. By remaining true to this purpose, we honor our founders who sacrificed greatly to bring the gift of Catholic education to what was then the frontier town of Traverse City.
Father George Ziegler makes an appeal to a priest friend in New Jersey asking for Sisters to help in educating Traverse City’s youth
In October, six young Dominican nuns board a steamship for Traverse City, opening Holy Angels Convent School (located on Union Street) for six pupils on October 29, 1877
The new, 4-floor Holy Angels Academy (convent and boarding school) was dedicated. The building was constructed on land donated by Perry Hannah, and cost $10,000
Immaculate Conception parish was formed to lessen the distance to daily Mass; the new facility was dedicated on February 22, 1906 and it housed the church (upper level) and school (lower level). When it opened in September, the school had 80 students in three classrooms
St. Francis Elementary (today’s Holy Angels Elementary School) opened to students in January with 14 classrooms and a study hall
The Immaculate Conception and St. Francis school systems were consolidated
The newly constructed St. Elizabeth Ann Seton Middle School opened on donated land near Hammond and 3-Mile Road
An outdoor, All School Mass is celebrated on the site of the new Immaculate Conception Elementary School, marking the start of the Our Faith, Our Future, Our Time capital campaign.
The remaining portion of the old Immaculate Conception School is demolished. A 1961 time capsule is unearthed.